[vc_row][vc_column reveal_effect=”fadeInLab”][vc_column_text]The Robinson House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was constructed in the 1850s as a two-story Italian Villa style residence for Anthony Robinson, Jr. The Robert E. Lee Camp No. 1 acquired the building in the late 1880s and renovated the house as part of the Camp-sponsored Confederate Soldiers Home. The building served as the Camp’s administrative headquarters and war museum. In 1941, the Commonwealth of Virginia acquired the building and it was occupied by various state agencies including use by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) for its Studio School until 1993.
The project scope of work includes the rehabilitation of the existing building for use as a gallery for the interpretation of the history of the museum’s site as the Robert E. Lee Camp for Confederate Veterans, a regional tourism office for Central Virginia, and for administrative offices. A new addition is proposed to provide ADA-compliant access and a new public entrance. In addition, the scope of work includes rehabilitating the existing landscape and the construction of a new entrance plaza. The proposed landscape design weaves the Robinson House site into the overall museum landscape through a recall of planted forms found at the abutting parking garage/roof terrace complex.
RMLA principal Rob McGinnis served as the principal-in-charge and lead landscape architect while with OCULUS.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]