The Fralin Museum of Art Sculpture Terrace
[vc_row][vc_column reveal_effect=”fadeInLab”][vc_column_text]The sculpture terrace project included landscape architectural services supporting the rehabilitation of the historic landscape at the Thomas H. Bayly Memorial Building. The historically significant building and landscape, designed by the UVA dean of architecture Edmund S. Campbell and architect R. E. Lee and completed in 1935, merged Renaissance details with Classical Revival forms. Much of the landscape—including the brick terrace, bluestone steps, retaining walls, architectural artifacts, and planting areas—survives from the historic design. The museum and its landscape form a gateway to the University’s John and Betsy Casteen Arts Grounds. The new program for the site included increasing the visibility of the museum from the Rugby Road street front and the of installation of Henry Moore’s Seated Woman (1958-1959), a seven foot tall bronze sculpture, on a new bluestone terrace within the historic landscape. The terrace also included a monumental bluestone bench, revitalized plantings, new paving to facilitate special events, and new plantings that complement the landscape features at this important site. The project scope of work included a condition assessment of the historic landscape and coordinating the consulting structural engineer in the design of the sculpture base and electrical engineer for the design of the sculpture lighting.
RMLA principal Rob McGinnis served as the project director and collaborated on the design for this project while with EDAW/AECOM.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]